A carpet that is wet or has moisture promotes mildew and mold growth. These can put you and your loved ones at many health risks. Whether you carpet got wet from condensation, a flood or just wet cleaning, it is important that you dry it urgently.
The padding of the carpet behaves like a sponge and soaks up any moisture around it. Mold growth deteriorates the air quality and can lead to respiratory issues like asthma or bronchitis. Continued exposure can lead to severe infections and allergies. Removing mold can be a little tricky, it is imperative that it is removed from the source itself. If it has spread and there is a significant amount, you will need professional expertise.
The size of the carpet, humidity, and climate will determine how you can dry the carpet successfully.
How you can dry the carpet after cleaning?
The method you can use for drying the carpet depends on how it was cleaned earlier. Carpets can be cleaned in many ways like dry-cleaning, using steam, or with specialized equipment.
To dry a carpet after cleaning you will need one of the below:
- A fan
- Air conditioner
- Open window
- Carpet blower
Here are some carpet drying techniques you can use:
- Create a good air flow: The best way to dry your carpet is to create a good air flow in the space. Open up the windows and let the fresh air dry your carpet. In rainy or cloudy weather this may not work very well.
- Switch on the fan: Ceiling fans are quite efficient when it comes to drying a carpet. When the weather outside is not conducive for drying the carpet, you can just place it underneath a running fan. If you do not have a ceiling fan, use a table fan or a standing fan.
- Use air conditioner: Using an air conditioner should be the last resort for drying a carpet. If the weather is rainy and you don’t have a fan then you can use the AC.
- Blow drying: This is a quick method for drying a carpet. A blow dryer is typically used by professionals after cleaning the carpet.
When does mold grow on a moist carpet?
It usually takes about 24 to 48 hours for mold and mildew to grow on the carpet after it is exposed to water or moisture. If you do not take the right steps to control and eliminate them, they will grow rapidly. Here are some signs you should look out for:
- Musty or sour smell from the carpet
- Discoloration of the padding or the carpet in general
- Breathing difficulty or allergic symptoms in
If the moisture is too much to handle for you or you have large sized carpets which are difficult to handle, then calling a professional for wet carpet cleaning Sydney will be a better idea. It is best to get the job done right the first time. Expert help is cheap and more effective for carpets that are soaked in lot of water or are too big in size.