There is a saying that a crisis is an opportunity. When the storm passes, there is silence, and when the rain stops, there is a rainbow. This idea can be expressed in several ways. This is the basis of the Phoenix Effect. So what exactly is the Phoenix Effect?
The Phoenix Effect refers to experiencing a particularly traumatic event and then using it as an opportunity for growth, freedom, and improvement.
Let’s learn more about it now.
What is the Phoenix Effect?
Have you ever heard of a bird with beautiful feathers that burns to death and is reborn as a phoenix from the ashes?
Symbolically, the phoenix effect is associated with construction and destruction, death and resurrection. The death of the phoenix does not mean the end, but the possibility of a new beginning in a different way than before.
In psychology, it means the same thing as resilience after going through a traumatic situation.
In this regard, Victor Frankl, a neurologist, and psychiatrist who is known as the founder of meaning therapy emphasizes that recognizing the meaning of pain can make you stronger in an unfortunate event. A survivor of the Nazi concentration camp, he knew the meaning better than anyone.
What is the Phoenix Effect mean?
The Phoenix Effect means learning how to be a new person after going through a traumatic event.
The Phoenix Effect has the following values.
- The importance of adaptation. It is the human ability to accept change or become accustomed to new situations.
- Worth of Adversity. Traumatic situations make you aware of your strengths and allow you to tap into new resources you didn’t know you had because you didn’t need them until now. When you experience the worst, you can be reborn as a stronger person.
- Re-meaning of Facts. Many people say that after a traumatic experience they have a different perspective or perspective. In other words, you can understand and value a situation from a different angle. This will change your priorities in life. What you may have thought of as insignificant can be viewed as important. You can also recognize that everything is different from before.
- Power of Change. It is the ability to move from one state to another, to be reborn as a new person, and to move forward from an uncomfortable situation that sinks to the bottom.
How to deal with adversity
Here are some ways you can cope with adversity.
- Psychotherapy can help you accept a painful situation or crisis and think about what you can learn from it.
- Accept that hardship is a part of life. You have to learn to live with the frustration that comes from trying your best and not seeing the results you expect.
- Sometimes it takes will and effort to move forward. Being heavily influenced by a situation can make you feel bad or want your desire to do something. But there are times when you have to fight yourself to keep from falling apart. It is true that it takes time to overcome sadness or to accept a situation, but you must force yourself to resume activities that have stopped after the traumatic event.
- Resilience is not only an individual aspect, it is also a social issue. Maintaining positively supportive relationships and caring for people is a great way to overcome situations and develop your own strengths.
- Put different ideas into action. When you get caught up in your thoughts, it seems that things are only going in one direction. However, this hardening of thoughts can lead to discomfort and frustration. If you learn to think about alternatives, you’ll be able to accept them even if things don’t turn out the way you wanted them to. It is also an opportunity to discover something new.
- Let’s look at the positive side of life. Enjoy my life and enjoy the relaxation and leisure activities, caring for oneself, it is important to learn how to relax.
- Finally, you have to accept that you can’t control everything, and the only certainty is uncertainty.
Accepting difficult times as part of your life will go a long way in overcoming adversity.
To be reborn as a new person, you have to accept yourself and get to know yourself.
To practice the Phoenix Effect or develop resilience, you must have the ability to face fear, pain, and anguish . You should also be able to accurately describe the situation in which you feel uncomfortable.
It is the opposite of rejecting the thoughts that overwhelm your head. Rather than throwing it out of sight, you have to accept it as it is. You must also acknowledge that you are weak and accept yourself as you are. This way, you can learn something from your mistakes and turn them into a ‘weapon’ for success.
Knowing the tools in your hands can help you take a step forward. It’s not easy to accept pain as it is, but you have to believe that you can turn it into a positive emotion.
Of course, the key is not to think of happiness as an ideal, but to properly recognize that you will face various challenges as you go through life. There are situations that are unpleasant but must be accepted. Of course, the right use of resources can turn negative aspects into positive ones.